Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Vamu Annam/Rice with Tymol

Where Was I??

Did u guys think I disappeared again???? No I am very much here. One of my closest friends got married over this weekend. Got back home yesterday night after a delay of 3 hours in the airport. Wishing SC and RC a very happy married life. This post will be in the newly wed's Honor as I picked up this recipe from RC's mom. :) I never had it before and HAD to make it as soon as I can. How can we go the recipe with out some story behind it?? South Indians are famous for many different varieties of rice dishes. This is one of those rice dishes from the region of West Godavari. This was some how never a part of our house hold and dear hubby confirmed that it was never a part of his household either. Its called vamu annam. Vamu in telugu Ajwain in Hindi Omam In Tamil Oma in Kannada Tymol Seeds in English Vamu is supposed to have many medicinal values associated with it. I remember as a child when my mom used to give some to swallow when I had cough and I would love the flavor of it in "chakkilalu" that she used to make.

Ingredients Cooked Rice- 2 Cups Mustard Seeds - 1/4 Tea Spoon Jeera - 1/4 Tea Spoon Chana Dal, Urad Dal -1 Table spoon each Vamu - 1 Heaped Tea Spoon Green chilli - 4 Slit Curry Leaves - 4 Leaves. Turmeric Powder - 1 Pinch Oil - 1/2 Table Spoon. Heat oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and jeera. Once they start to splutter add Vamu, Chana and Urad dal and let them brown a little. Add curry leaves, Green chilli and Turmeric powder. Let them fry for a couple of minutes and the add cooked rice. Mix the rice well with the seasoing. Let it remain for a few minutes on the heat and Vamu Rice is ready to eat. I made it for lunch today. Turned the rice cooker on before I left to work. Went home at 12 PM, made it and ate it by 12 30. I am giving the time frame just to show you all how simple it is to make. For a change Hubby dear went ooooooohhhh and aaaaaaahhhh about it and paid a genuine compliment. :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous sirisha said...

I tried this receipe yesterday and it was fabulous .i will be definitely be making it again .Thanks for sharing such a good receipe .


:)))

2/23/2006 11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Santhi said...

I am so glad it turned out good sirisha.
I get a big kick out of people trying and liking my recipes.

Santhi

2/23/2006 09:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info »

3/16/2007 03:54:00 AM  
Blogger రామ said...

చిన్న addition. మేము నూనెలో ఆవాలు, జీలకర్ర వేయిన్చేప్పుడు వెల్లుల్లి కూడా వేసి వేయిస్తాము. చాలా బాగా వస్తుంది ఈ సారి ట్రై చెయ్యండి.

3/30/2010 08:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vaamu annam is best for health when the weather is cold ;
and its taste is ever green ;
i can only eat vaamu annam and nothing else for all 3 times in a day ;

7/07/2010 12:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one. Thanks for sharing!

6/05/2011 10:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

should write more.....

7/25/2011 08:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home